Saturday, July 16, 2005

I Live in Some Kind of World....

It's a Jazz World...


Thursday went I got off work, which is goin' okay so far, I strolled downtown to see the "Made in Chicago: A Jazz Celebration." It was the first concert of the summer. Free Jazz almost every Thursday throughout the summer....7/21, 7/28, 8/11, 8/25, & 8/29 are the remaining dates. Playing were, "The Chicago Jazz Ensemble" which was conducted by Jon Faddis. It started @ 6:30, with a short 15 minute intermission in between, and it ends around 9 something. It was my friend, his girl, and myself out there. Brought out the chairs, got a chance to read some of my book, "Cashflow Quadrant," and just chilled out. They had open seats in the front, but I am a lawn lover so you know where I was at. It kinda reminded me of the Ravinia, which I haven't been this summer yet, but will be there when Cassandra Wilson comes. I had the blanket for the Film Festival and I will have it for next Thursday. Just remembered that I don't work next Thursday so I might grab me some wine and some food and chill. If anyone gets a chance to go, they should go. With the skyline in the background and the many cultures out there, the beautiful weather, you should enjoy it.


A Crazy World...


I was driving to work on Friday. I was listening to the Tom Joyner Morning Show. Since my go-kart doesn't have a CD player, I have to flick from channel to channel, which is sad, but it is what it is for now. They had people calling in to receive advice on their current love crisis. The one that stood out was a lady who called in who seeks advice about a guy that she has been dealing with for two years. The career that she has now, she has to relocate to another state. The guy that she is dealing with is in jail and is due to get out this December. If she leaves, which would be next month, she can't take him along, because....You Guess It.....he is in jail. Now Jay Anthony Brown asked the woman why is she waiting for this man who is in jail, when she has an opportunity that will help her. I was in for a surprise and I didn't even know it. She said that the reason as to why she is waiting is because he is a good guy. She then follows that up with, "There are no more good guys out here. She hasn't clicked with anyone. She believes that all the good guys are no longer here." Last time I checked, the guy was in prison, he's obviously not that good. Maybe I'm overreacting. When I heard this response from her, I first laughed and then I felt sad. I felt sad because of what this world is coming to. To hear something like that, makes you wonder about things. This next generation coming up, even the current one, they both scare me in a sense that it will extra hard on people to do regular things, such as raising children, schooling, living, etc.. I could get into more detail about this but I will be writing forever. If a sista reads this about the radio, good guy thing, please let me know what you think about that. I am open to hear what y'all sistas think about that...For me it's time to drink.....


Drink of the Day...

Hurricane.....

1/2 oz. light Rum
1/2 oz. dark Rum
1/2 oz. Creme de Almond
1/2 oz. Blackberry Brandy
1 oz. Pineapple Juice
1 oz. Orange Juice
1 oz. Sweet and Sour

Blend and strain...
Pour into glass...

Top with 1/2 oz. 151 Rum

Garnish with a flag...

Drink up!! Be merry!!


-Da Original 1-

5 Comments:

At 10:13 PM, Blogger C.R.C. said...

- Wow, a live Jazz show, huh? I'm surprised I haven't heard anything about it. I may try to go maybe next Thurs.

- Congrats on the Job! :)

- About the radio lady, I think she's afraid to let go and just "see." I'm with you, obviously he's not that good of a catch if homie's in jail. Perhaps that's a premature judgement...
On the other hand, if she really feels strongly for him and loves him, then I think she should try to make it work, long-distance. It sounds like a great opportunity and if she really wants it, she should go after it. Hopefully he'll be understanding and maybe they can do the long distance thing until he's able to leave the state.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Ananse's Web said...

My thought on the radio lady is that she is afraid. I am sure she knows that this career move will end whatever love affair she has with this jailbird, if she leaves she will be leaving him behind and whatever semblance of a relationship they have. She is holding on to the familiar and as a result blocking herself from ever truly finding “the good guy”, but more than that its making her stagnant in other areas of her life as well. Moving will force her to move on with her job and with her love life as well. Hell if I was ever dating someone and they got incarcerated, I would be like baby I love you, I will put some money in ya commisary for ya but I gots to go! And if I was incarcerated I would expect ym man to do the same.

 
At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey,

You live such a full life! The Jazz on Thursdays sounds like a great time.

I really think that this whole "good man" can't be found theory is a little exaggerated. If she's willing to date a jailbird, she can surely find a good man because her standards aren't too high...lol (sorry)

I totally agree with CEE, she has to be in control of her life and her destiny and if she chooses the man over the job, that's on her. GOOD LUCK with that one.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger Speedy aka Security said...

There are good men out there, somewhere, just very hard to find. Not to mention we don't know what her idea of a good man is. Maybe he was a good man in the fact that he was robbing from Peter to help her pay for her kid that the baby daddy didn't want anything to do with. Now in that situation I would still say naw... been there, done that. Most of the time they don't change. Also, I find it hard to find a good man. Maybe it's the current situation I'm in, but the majority of the men that I meet fall into 2 catergories: friends or stay the hell away from me with your lies. That doesn't mean that she shouldn't wait for her guy, he might be the one that actually changes and grows up.

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger MizChievous said...

I can't quite understand how you can pass up the job opportunity for a man in jail. I mean, he may be a 'good guy' (in jail though, I doubt it), but ultimately, she has to be the one responsible for looking out for her own future. And as far as job security, he can't provide her with that now or in the future with him being a convict and all lol.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home