Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Is Patience Really a Virtue?......

Hello Blog, I'm back. I haven't been on here in a while. Wasn't really on the computer like I'm usually am. I had a very enjoyable week. I did some things with people that I care about. It was good to get out and enjoy the beginning of the new year. After my weekend was over, I realized two things: 1. I am on vacation this week. Yay!! 2. Questions was raised in my head about several issues. I would like to discuss one of the topics today. It's about being patient, having patience.


The word "patient" can be defined as 'bearing pains or trials calmly or without complaint.' It's also defined as 'manifesting forbearance under provocation or strain.' Patience is something that I have been dealing with my whole life. For the most part, especially when I was younger, patience has NOT been my best friend. I mean it has helped me on a few occasions, but the majority of the times, patience has really hurt me. So therefore I was impatient. Being impatient has helped my aggressiveness but it has hurt my attitude towards things. I would do things that would eventually get me into places that I care not to be. I have lost things and people due to my impatience. I know I can't turn back the hands of time, but I know that I can improve on that and make it better. People were against me and have said that I have a problem. Even if I felt that I was okay, there were always things that lingered behind me and impatience was one. Instead of helping me, people just downed me and left it at that. So much for being supportive....


I have had growing pains. A lot of people do NOT understand why I act the way that I do, or the way I acted in the past. It took a lot of hurting people, losing people, whether to other people or other places beyond our existence, to realize and pinpoint out that I needed to change, but only I can make that change. I know that I had to change other traits about me but this one was HUGE.

I feel now that I've done a good job with being patient, but I can do better. Being patient can also bring out other things such as anxiety. I become very anxious at times, but for some of the things that I prefer to have in life, I have to be patient. I have to take a seat and wait for it to fall into my lap. What happen if it never comes? Is patience really a virtue then? Should I have been IMPATIENT and pursue what it is that I want? You can say 'Catch 22' but would that be appropriate?


Back to the definition of patient, have I been bearing pains? Yes! Have I beared trials calmly? I really don't think I have. Have I done this without complaint? Can't say all the time. So there it is. I am patient AND impatient. I always have been and I will continue to be, but I am now dealing with that much better now than I have in the past. I think that is the difference here. Can I be more patient than impatient? Yes! Can I be more impatient that patient? Yes! It just matters what it is about or who it may pertain to. I honestly think that you pick what issues that you want to be patient on and the ones you want to be impatience on. You just have to prepare yourself for the consequences for the choices that you make. My choices in the past haven't been so hot. My choices now have been a lot better, but things still don't go the way you want them to go, and it leaves you asking yourself questions such as: Should I wait for this to go through? Can I wait this long for someone? Is this career choice worth the wait? The answers to this questions you have to find on your own. You have to come at peace with yourself, and let yourself see what you want to discover. If something or someone is important to you, being patient and impatient will play a significant role in what you are trying to find out. You should not ask yourself those questions because you will now start to feel uncomfortable about yourself and will be thinking about it all the time. I feel you just need to relax your mind and let nature take its toll in life. It is not the end of the world if you don't get the career of choice or the person of choice or the life of choice, but the patient/impatient toggle shouldn't be the only factor in those. I can go through this battle. I feel that life is a battle sometimes. You need to be challenged. You need to see that everything doesn't work out all the time. Being impatient or patient can either make or break you but it shouldn't destroy your ego or your confidence. You need to lose to gain. I have lost a lot, but I have also gained. I can say that I feel good about all the opportunities and challenges that I have posed on myself in 2005, and the patient/impatient factor will be there, either I want it there or not.


So is patience really a virtue? I think that it is, but I also think that impatience can be a virtue as well. It just depends on you, and not what people tell you. Other people do play a role in the patience/impatience battle, but only YOU determine the role that they play. You control the patient/impatient battle! It is definitely a war, but a war that can be fought with the right weapons.


-Da Original 1-



1 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's what I think. Patience is definitely a virtue. Impatience is not. That doesn't mean that you sit and wait for things to happen in your life. That simply means that you do all you can do, and STOP! That's being patient. Impatience will cause you to force something to happen before it's time. Remember, THERE IS A TIME AND A SEASON FOR EVERYTHING. You may be patient, and the thing you want never comes to pass. It may not be time, or it MAY NOT BE FOR YOU. Because you think you know what's for you does not mean it is. A patient man realizes this and waits for the thing that is right for him. And when something's right for you, things will fall into place with little or no effort on your part. This may not even be what you really want but you'll find out that it's what you really needed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home